Improving grade point average

Course repetition
When students receive a substandard grade ("D," "F," or "NP") for a course, they may repeat it once in order to have only the new grade, if higher, used when their grade point average is computed. However, the original grade will not be removed from the transcript, and additional credit will not be granted. Course repetition cannot be used to make up an incomplete ("I") grade. A course with a substandard grade can only be repeated a second time with approval from the dean of outreach, enrollment and matriculation.

Academic renewal
Academic renewal allows students to have up to 24 units of substandard grades ("D," "F," or "NP") which are not reflective of a student's demonstrated academic ability excluded from their grade point average calculation without having to repeat the course. To be eligible, students must have received 20 consecutive units of "C" grade work or better within the district or any other accredited college or university since the substandard grades were earned. To be considered consecutive, all units earned in a given semester must be "C" grade work or better. Students interested in academic renewal should request a petition from the Admissions Office.

Back to top