Special Education Paraprofessional - program FAQs
Special Education

What can I do with a special education paraprofessional certificate?

Students who earn a special education paraprofessional certificate of achievement are prepared for entry-level employment assisting students and individuals with disabilities in education and rehabilitation settings.

What can I do with a special education A.A. degree?

The associate in arts degree (A.A. degree) with a special education major is a two-year program that offers students the same in-depth study required to work with people with disabilities, while also providing a broad general education. Students with an A.A. degree are also well prepared to transfer to a teacher credentialing program or other related four-year course of study.

When are classes offered?

The program courses are full-term and offered in the evening. Many of the requirements for the associate degree can be taken during the day or evening and in both full and short-term formats.

How long will it take to earn an A.A. degree or certificate of achievement?

Students generally take two years to complete all of the courses required for the associate degree. The certificate of achievement generally takes two semesters.

Where can I get more information?

Call the counseling department 925-685-1230, ext. 2276 or the program coordinator, ext. 2684, or visit the college website: www.dvc.edu/programs.

Back to top