Disability Support Services (DSS) at DVC is committed to keeping pace with technological advances that can improve educational access for students with disabilities. Listed below are technological accommodations that we currently can offer to students.
Acquired Brain Injuries (ABI)
- Adaptive computer software,
- Kurzweil 3000 software that reads electronically scans printed material and converts it to text - speech, for text books and handouts.
- Dragon Naturally speaking software give's you the ability to use your voice to dictate spoken words into the computer.
- Inspiration software is a mind mapping program that helps with writing.
- Typing Instructor software helps you learn how to type using a computer.
Attention Deficit Disorder
- Sennheiser FM system with transmitter and receiver: This unit is available to be checked out by the students from DSS after conference with a DSS counselor. The system utilizes a small microphone worn by the instructor, and a receiver with a headphone or a loop that transmits by FM frequency worn by the students. It blocks out background noise and amplifies the sound coming from the microphone.
- Sennheiser Infrared Assistive Listening device located in the Performing Arts Center, Forum, and Arena Theater.
- Alpha Smarts - mini note taking device
- Tape Recorders for note taking
Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Video Relay for the Deaf (Sorenson) is a web base system which students who have hearing or speech impairments can communicate by video relay system in the DSS office.
- Sennheiser FM system with transmitter and receiver.
- Portable Infra red system to improve comprehension of video-taped curriculum, movies, etc.
- Rapid Text- Remote Captioning
- Computer software to improve basic skills
- Audio cassette tape or Digital recorders for note taking
- Kurzweil 3000 software which electronically scans printed material and converts it to text - speech, for text books and handouts
- Alpha Smart - mini computer note taking device
- Adaptive computer hardware and software including electronic keyguard programs and "intelligent" word processing program that predicts students text as they are typing
- Audio-cassette tape or Digital recorders for note taking
- Dragon Naturally Speaking - Special recognition software
- Furniture- Tables or Chairs
- Kurzweil 1000, electronically scans text and "reads" written material
- Zoom Text-screen enlarging software used with standard production software
- Close Circuit TV-enlarges print
- Audio-cassette tape recorders for lectures
- Tests and handouts transcribed into preferred alternate media formats.
- Alternate Media of course material and textbooks (i.e., large print, Braille, e-text)
- Scanner which "reads" written text and converts into Braille
- JAWS for Windows - computer access software
- Braille printer