August 2, 2010
POWER OUTAGE WEDNESDAY AUGUST 4TH
Last week everyone was sent an email indicating that due to work being done on Viking Drive, the Pleasant Hill campus of DVC would be without power and the campus would be closed from 5:00 a.m. to Noon on August 4th. This is being done to complete the work PG & E started on Saturday, July 24th. We expect to be operational and open to the public by 1:00 p.m. on Wednesday. We tried to convince PG&E to move this work to the weekend, but were unsuccessful. Therefore the following accommodations are being implemented.
- Employees with normal work hours occurring during the period of 5:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on August 4th, will be given paid administrative leave for those hours. Employees are expected to return to work on August 4th at 1:00 p.m. and complete the rest of their work day. If you have any questions about this, please contact Chris Leivas at ext. 2533.
- Wednesday Classes – We have accommodated all classes scheduled on campus this Wednesday by rescheduling the class meetings or relocating the classes to JFK University, or the International Education Center. If you have any specific questions about Wednesday class accommodations, please contact Ted Wieden, ext. 2038.
- Communication to Students – We have been working with the instructors of the Wednesday classes to communicate the changes directly to their students. We will inform our general student body through an email blast, postings on Twitter, and postings on Facebook. All of the Student Services offices will open to the public at 1:00pm on Wednesday, August 4th. Please contact Donna Floyd at ext. 2232 if you have any questions concerning student services operations.
- Communication to the Community – Information about the August 4th power outage is currently posted on our website and will also be on the District’s website. Our telephone greeting will have information about the power outage. If you have any specific questions concerning communications to students and the community, please contact Leslie Leong ext. 2354.
- Physical Access to the Campus – On Wednesday morning at 7:00 a.m., we plan to limit access to the campus by closing off all the parking lots. Lot entrances will have signs indicating that the campus is closed due to a power outage. Lots will be reopened in time for people to return to work at 1:00 p.m.
- Campus Security – Please note that with the power out, the police station will not be open for general operations, but will reopen as of Noon. Police Services will have extra personnel on campus to deal with the closure and provide extra patrols throughout the campus. Parking lots will be blocked off and no access will be granted to buildings expect for personnel required to be there for the power outage issues. If you have any specific questions about campus security or the physical access to the campus, please contact Tom Sharp, ext. 2107.
- Information Technology - DVC servers will be shut down at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday (8/3/10) and turned on at 12:00 p.m. Wednesday (8/4/10) provided that power is restored in a timely manner. During this time, DVC network resources will not be accessible: Email, WebCT, DVC website, Library Catalog (ALICE), Voyager, Wireless, VPN, U-drive, S-drive, P-drive, tape drive, network printing and all other network services. WebAdvisor will not be affected by the power outage and you can access it directly by going to www.4cd.edu/webadvisor/. If you have any specific questions about impact on information technology, please contact Ben Seaberry, ext. 2355.
- Other Items – Please turn off all computers, monitors and other electronic devices before the power goes out. Don’t leave anything in refrigerators that could go bad during this outage.
We are sorry for the inconvenience this power outage will cause. PG&E did not provide us with any options; they simply told us when the power outage would take place. I would like to thank all of the people who have put in many hours over to minimize the impact of this situation on our students and staff.
If you have any questions about the information communicated in this email, please contact me.