Dear DVC community,
As you are well aware, the flu season is upon us!
Because there are two types of flu cases that are wide spread in our community, the regular (or seasonal) flu and the H1N1 (swine) flu, we need to be twice as cautious to keep ourselves and our community healthy.
Since last spring, we have continued to take extra steps to prevent the spread of flu at Diablo Valley College as much as possible, but we need your help.
Here are some prevention tips to stay healthy this flu season:
- Practice good hand hygiene by washing your hands frequently with soap and water, especially after coughing or sneezing. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers also are effective.
- Practice respiratory etiquette by covering your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your elbow or shoulder, not into your hands. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth; this is one of the fastest ways for germs to enter your system.
- Know the signs and symptoms of the flu. A temperature over 100 degrees is a common symptom of the flu as well as body aches, headache, fatigue, and weakness.
- If you have the flu or flu-like illness, STAY HOME! Please don’t return to work or class until you have been without a fever for at least 24 hours. Whether or not you have a fever should be determined without the use of fever-reducing medications (any medicine that contains ibuprofen or acetaminophen).
- Talk with your health care providers about whether you should be vaccinated for seasonal flu. Also consider the H1N1 vaccination if you are in a higher risk group.
For more information about the flu, please visit: www.cchealth.org/topics/flu/
We are doing everything we can to keep our college as germ free as possible, including:
- increased frequency in the cleaning of high-touch surface areas;
- installation of hand sanitizer dispensers in every building and in high traffic areas.
We are working closely with the Contra Costa County Health Department concerning local flu conditions and we are updating our website as new information becomes available.